Saturday, December 31, 2011

An Untraditional Christmas

It being the last day of the year, I suppose I could combine my Christmas and New Year's post, but I don't know that I have the stamina to write that much today (nor the time), so we'll stick with Christmas today, and then get to the New Year, well, tomorrow hopefully! :)

Christmas is always a time I look forward to. It used to be my favorite time of year, it still is but in a different way. As I mentioned in my last post, as I've gotten older, I've really come to see the real meaning in Christmas and though gift exchanges and holiday parties are fun and festive, it's so important to remember the real reason for the season.

I don't know if my whole family felt the same this year, or if it just wound up working out this way, but we kind of went back to the basics, so to speak. We do holidays BIG at our house. My parents are both from huge families and we've been fortunate to have close family friends in the area that may as well be family. Before this year, I can't remember one where there were less than at least 10 people. It's always tons of fun and tons of laughter. This year was a little different. I think the realization is starting to hit my parents (and B's for that matter) that we'll be married in a few short months and, well, sad to say, but this would probably be the last Christmas for each of our parent's to have us to themselves. So, Brandon went home to spend some time with his parents and I packed up the fur-kids and headed to mine.

We didn't invite anyone for dinner this year and on Christmas eve, my dad cooked a ham and mac & cheese. Jokingly, he said "Mmmm...we should eat this tonight because it looks to yummy to wait until tomorrow." And then someone, I think my mom maybe, chimed in with "well, let's just do Christmas tonight and then we'll do church tomorrow and then relax the rest of the day." To which I replied: "YES!"

So we had a casual dinner, while watching Sound of Music on TV. Which that in itself was hilarious because B was watching the same with his parents in LR and kept texting me with all the absurd lines in the movie that he hadn't noticed before. :) Then, we opened our traditional Christmas jammies and then the rest of our gifts! :) Well, actually before that our parents took one last picture of their 3 Rosso girls at the top of the stairs, since next year I'll be a Turner! After presents we ate some dessert, snuggled up and watched another movie. It was a perfect day!

The next morning we went to church, took the dogs to the park and then dad made our "Christmas dinner". His homemade pizza! MMMMMMM. Talk about untraditional! But, we sat around the table and had us a feast! It was delish. Then we went and saw We Bought a Zoo at the theater. Um - FANTASTIC movie!

So, basically it was full of relaxing and just enjoying the 5 of us. It's been a long time since we've taken it easy and just enjoyed each other's company. The perfect Christmas indeed!

Update: It's now 2 weeks later and I'm just getting back to this blog...oops! Being busy is fun, but whew - looking forward to things slowing down after May!

So - last bit about Christmas...

Brandon and I decided to not exchange presents this year. We're house shopping and just paid for our honeymoon...so yeah.... Then he asked "so, are we really not exchanging gifts or are you saying that and then getting me a gift and expecting one from me?" I appreciated that - means he's learning! ;) So, I mentioned that I had gotten a couple of things for him, but explained they were things he needed and we would have bought soon anyway, so I just wrapped them so he had something to unwrap.
Now, before I mention what he got me, I should mention that B isn't the most romantic boy in the world...it's not a bad thing because then when he does do something super sweet, it means that much more. He went creative on me! I didn't even know he had it in him, but he does! Now he's in trouble because I know what he's capable of! Mwahahaha.

He spent maybe $10 but it's the most meaningful gift I've ever received:

First you need to know - I have an obsession with cute costume-like jewelry and second, I have a jewelry organization disability if you will... It seems that for the life of me I can't keep two earrings in a pair and it's because I don't have a good place for them. They get mixed up and clumped together in jewelry boxes and so a year or so ago, B joked and said "my mom keeps her jewelry in a tackle box" and I thought to myself "genius". I mean - each pair of earrings could have their own individual space then. Well, he got me my tackle box, but he took it to the next level!




It's hard to tell from the pictures, but he made the tackle box the "husband box" complete with instructions. And he said "I did this on my own - I didn't even look on pinterest!" Oh, how I love that boy. Each compartment has a task or gesture, so if I wear the jewelry from that day, he has to do whatever the label says. A few examples of some of the compartments: back/shoulder massage, shopping trip, random compliment generator, gas fill up, flowers, chick flick movie pass, etc. It was so cute and the instructions/letter it came with had me all misty-eyed. I love that feeling!
The only problem is that now I stare at my jewelry trying to figure out not only what I want to wear, but also what I might want from the husband box! It's doubled my "get ready" time! Totally worth it though!

Hope everyone had a fantastic holiday! Happy 2012!

And now a few pictures from the season:

I felt like being cheesey! Success! 

Being silly at the Ice exhibit! 



It's a family tradition!

Mom and Dad with their Christmas pj's

Chloe and Timmy were snuggling!

I found this on my dad's camera - guess he thought it was funny that Chloe was ready to come back in

Seeeeeeesters

Mom and Dad - they're kinda adorable! 
Yes, I'm as tall as my dad! (at least in the shoes I was wearing)


No comments:

Post a Comment