Friday, May 20, 2011

Fire Ant Blues

Heard of these little suckers? Well, as a native to the north, I hadn't experienced the wrath of the fire ant until I moved to the south. Their name is ever so appropriate...FIRE ants.... Why? Well because it feels like fire when they bite and for quite some time after that. It just doesn't seem right!

Two nights ago I was walking my precious pup when out of no where I felt the sting. I was walking on the sidewalk, ladies and gentleman, therefore not disturbing any insect homes imbedded in the grass. Sidenote: I live in a townhome complex...shouldn't they take care of the ridiculous fire ant mound community springing up alllllllll over our walking trail?!? So after swatting the sucker off of my toe and nearly dropping my phone in the process (and definitely amusing my friend on the other end) I continued on my walk, although much less enthused considering the throbbing/burning.


So - no problem, right? Put some anti-itch ointment and good as new....well, not the case with these bites. They linger on and on.... Last night I was up every 45 minutes or so with the itching/burning (sounds like some sort of "personal" problem). Today it just hurts because I scratched it so much it just turned into a sore. TMI? Sorry - it is what it is. Read up on these little menaces if you so wish...especially the non-southerners. You'll be intrigued, no doubt at just how scary an ant can be!

I couldn't bring myself to post a real image of them...it's kinda gross.
Oh to live in the northeast again, where it's too cold for the insect infestation of Texas!


Thanks for letting me rant! On a lighter note - Happy Friday! B and I are going on a date tonight and I'm very much looking forward to it! Tomorrow we'll be heading out to experience "The Buffett". Jimmy Buffett, that is! I hear it's quite a show and I'm looking forward to some shennanigans!

No comments:

Post a Comment